Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:12 -0400
At 02:26 PM 10/8/2007 -0400, Phil Nase wrote:

>I want to buy a trailer big enough to tow an Austin Healey Sprite....

Phil,

I'd suggest that you get a tandom wheel trailer and electric brakes.

I've towed MGBs and VWs on a single axle trailer before, and had it take off
on me.  It will start swaying back and forth.  When this happens, you CAN'T
TOUCH THE BRAKES.  All you can do is floor it and pull the trailer back
streight.  Had it happen once with an MGB and once with a VW.  Very scary!!!!!

Electric brakes are a great help.  If this happens, you simply hit the
brake controller in the tow vechile and apply the trailer brakes.  That will
pull the trailer back in line.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229