Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:44:01 EDT
As for brakes; Electrically actuated discs are the brakes of choice,
followed by electric drums, then "surge" actuated brakes. Electric discs are
capable
of being used in cases where you need braking power while backing  downhill.
The other two setups are worthless in such a situation. Yeah, you  probably
won't be finding yourself baking downhill all that much but just one  instance
where the trailer begins dragging the tow vehicle downhill will tend to  create
lasting memories.
Tandem axle trailers are much more stable and add a degree of redundancy
when it comes to having a blown tire. Oh, and look for brakes on both  axles.
Axles: I've had trailers with leaf springs and trailers with Torflex
suspension.
Torflex is the way to go. Leaf springs require hangers. Those hangers
contain plastic bushings which last for maybe 5K miles before wearing out. Plus
 the
torflex axle provides truly independent suspension for the trailer. And
don't succumb to the temptation to go with over rated spring rates. For your
use
a pair of 2,000 pound axles will do the trick, while a pair of axles rated at
5,000 pounds each are definite overkill and will do nothing for you other
than  to effectively act as solid axles.
Detachable fenders are also nice to have, at least for a closed car though  I
suppose not so critical for a convertible.
LED lights are another plus as they work well and last a long time.
The condition of the wiring will also provide a clue as to the condition of
the rest of the trailer. And beware of loose wheel bearings. In fact, if I was
 buying used those bearings would be the first thing I would look at and
probably  re-pack just because loosing a trailer wheel is a real PITA.

Bart
In a message dated 10/8/2007 1:27:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time,