Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 02:15:46 +0000
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
> > 1) the in-pool light is out (in-ground, vinyl liner).  seems
> > to have a screwed-in glass cover over the bulb?  are these
> > all the same, and if so anybody know how to change it?  I
> > assume it'd be stupid to pull the cover off an electric bulb
> > base while submerged to my neck in water.  there must be a
> > trick, and I doubt I'm intended to drain the pool, no?
>
> Likely not all the same; but on mine you have to drain the pool.

heh.  that light fixture is apparently *supposed* to be waterproof.  it had a
big thick rubber gasket and the glass was held to the fixture with about a
dozen clamps.  it was also flooded.

the whole fixture pulled right out of the side of the pool wall--I assume
whatever the single screw that threaded into the wall was actually threaded
into has gone away.  the pot-metal trim around the fixture has also rotted.
this is probably not a good sign of things to come.

anyhow, there was just enough cord to get it onto the pool deck.  I didn't
electrocute myself, though it got too dark to see exactly what was going on in
the fixture itself.  the bulb seems to be a regular flood bulb.  guess we'll
see tomorrow.