Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 05:53:02 -0400
The bulb assembly behind that lens is completely sealed.  The lens is not
sealed, there is water behind it.  The waterproof electrical cord from the
bulb goes on up the conduit to a raised spot a few feet away, and joins into
the main wiring.  It's very much a do it yourself job, with the pool full of
water.  The sealed bulb unit is not cheap btw!

You'll probably regret turning the pump off, as pools muck up remarkably
quickly.  Especially with leaves in it.  You want it running so the leaves
get pulled into the skimmer as much as possible.  But, many are on timers.
This is particularly true for the self powered automatic cleaning tools.
Set up a timer instead of trying to remember to go turn it off and on
yourself.

A neighbor had a silver chemical treatment system installed.  It worked very
well.  Twas expensive.  But his pool stayed cleaner than virtually any other
pool I've seen.  It also had a very pretty deep blue hue to the water.

Heaters can be retrofitted at any time.  I wouldn't install one yet, spend a
year with the pool and decide.  The solar covers for a pool do very well.
And with a winder, they are easy to handle.

Doing the re-coping is a remarkably difficult job to do.  We just went
through this.  I'm very glad that we did farm that job out.  You get into
interesting games with the chemistry of the plaster and the water.  Very
easy to do wrong and poorly.

Pool chemistry is well known.  The manufacturers of the chemicals are quite
clear and accurate on their instructions.  If you've go a pool company
giving you distinctly different instructions,  be suspicious.  But, also
listen to them.  You are in a very warm climate, and in warmth things  grow
very quickly in water.  So there may well be a reason for higher than
typical chlorine instructions.  Generically though, you should not smell
chlorine around a pool.