Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...

To: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] completely unrelated swimming pool questions...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:32:52 -0700
> 1) the in-pool light is out (in-ground, vinyl liner).  seems
> to have a screwed-in glass cover over the bulb?  are these
> all the same, and if so anybody know how to change it?  I
> assume it'd be stupid to pull the cover off an electric bulb
> base while submerged to my neck in water.  there must be a
> trick, and I doubt I'm intended to drain the pool, no?

Likely not all the same; but on mine you have to drain the pool.

> 2) the pump runs continuously.  seems expensive.  does it
> need to, or can I shut it off for hours/days at a time?

Probably best to run it a few hours/day, depending on how dirty things get.
I run my in-ground 2 hrs/day when it's not in use (with a timer); but then I
have an automatic chlorinator and sweeper that are powered by the pump.

> 4) wife is sensitive to chlorine.  salt system--worth it?
> quoted $1500 to retrofit.  cheap if it delivers what he promised.

I find that, if I keep the Ph where it belongs; keep the organic material
cleaned up (leaves and such), plus keep the filter clean, that I can run
much less chlorine than public pools run and still keep the algae down.  I
also use a small amount of copper-type algaecide.  It's kind of hard to find
in stores, since it's pretty poisonous in concentrated form; but I like it
because it's permanent.  1 or 2 ounces lasts an entire season; while the
other stuff takes a lot more and has to be repeated fairly often.

> 5) (we're in north florida--never *cold* a few months of
> 'cool', maybe one or two months that you wouldn't want to be
> outside wet and mostly naked) pool heaters?  solar?  worth it?

I live in a similar climate; have a gas-fired heater, but never use it for
the pool.

> 6) there are leaves in it.  I assume I can buy a
> pool-roomba-type thing.  if I can, which?

I have Hayward Navigator; seems to work better than the previous Kreepy
Krawly for me.  But then my pool is plaster while yours is no doubt vinyl so
YMMV.

>  or save the money and do it by hand?

Gets really old, really fast, IMO.  When you find yourself not taking a swim
because you'd have to clean the pool first ...

>  if no robot, how do you get the crud off
> the bottom of the pool?

1) Scoop up leaves and such with a net.
2) Vacuum up small dirt with a hose & vacuum that attaches to the suction
side of your pump.
3) For stubborn dirt, scrub with a brush on the end of a long pole.  You'll
want a softer brush for your vinyl, I mostly use the steel one.
4) Repeat as necessary

>  are there two separate systems--one
> floating and one mucking around on the floor?

Yeah.  Should be a skimmer for things floating on top, while the automatic
or manual method takes care of the bottom.  For anything in between, you
either wait until it sinks, or net it.

> 7) friend says to use about 1/4 to 1/3 the recommended
> chlorine (because the guy doing the recommending is the guy
> selling the chlorine).  after the hard sell(s) I got, I'd be
> inclined to believe it.  sound reasonable?

Home Depot has the best price on "stabilized" chlorine, which is far cheaper
in the long run than the liquid stuff.  Last time I bought, it was about $85
for 70 pounds, which lasts me about 10 months or so.  You'll need to get a
test kit there as well; plus the chemicals (muriatic acid, lye, soda ash,
sodium bicarbonate, etc.)   Experience will tell you how much your pool
needs. Too little, and you get green stuff (algae) growing (which has to be
attended to ASAP).  But be sure to get the Ph in range and keep it there !
More details at
http://www.deh.enr.state.nc.us/ehs/quality/wph.htm

HD also has better prices on nets, poles, algaecide, etc.  I only go to the
"pool supply" for pump parts and whatnot.

> 8) (and the biggie).  our friends have a brick-coped vinyl
> pool.  I'd like to do this to mine.

Sorry, no help there.  If I had it to do over again, I'd be more insistent
that we didn't want a pool.  For all the money and aggravation it's cost me
(not to mention worries about someone getting hurt); the municipal pool down
the road is a bargain.

Randall