Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread

To: eric@megageek.com,shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Generator thread
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:47:59 -0700
I've seen these, too.  As I have both a 16 and a 30 HP diesel tractor I had
given them some thought, as well.  The cons, as I see it and as have been
pointed out to me by others, are as follows:

         You might need your tractor for moving downed trees, clearing
snow, etc at the same time you are also generating power.

         Generators have a regulator that controls the speed, which
controls the voltage/frequency.  You would probably need to add a frequency
meter to the generator and you would probably be fiddling with the throttle
all the time to maintain the correct voltage and frequency, and stand a
chance to blow up any frequency sensitive equipment such as TVs,
microwaves, computers, etc;

         Power losses through the PTO are substantial, but with a 45 HP
tractor you wouldn't have much to worry about; you have plenty of
reserve.  However, you will be running a 45 HP tractor the whole time
regardless if you need the output or not, with the subsequent fuel
consumption.  ;

         Don't underestimate the PITA factor of hooking up a 3 point
generator in the dark/rain/snow/middle of the night/etc.  I have a 3 point
PTO chipper, tiller and brush hog, and some days they are a huge pain to
install in broad daylight after a good breakfast.  I would rather just flip
a couple of switches.

         The pros, of  course, are first cost, and portability.  However,
my take on PTO powered generators is that they would be better for
"non-emergency" power generation such as running a shop full of tools at a
remote site, than as a back up emergency generator.

Of course, this is all my opinion, and everyone is free to poke holes in my
argument.  I'm probably going to go with the propane/gas setup, if I can
talk my propane supplier to bring me a bigger tank for little or no cost.

Dave