[Shop-talk] 4-post lift hydraulic pump

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift hydraulic pump
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:16:21 -0500
I think I know the answer to this but I'm going to ask anyway.

I recently installed a 4-post lift that I bought from our neighbor.  Its
an older unit that was used in a muffler shop for years.  Anyway, the
hydraulic reservoir sits horizontal to the big lift cylinder and if the
lift is raised up to a reasonable working height, when lowering any
faster than a real slow crawl hydraulic fluid spews out of the breather
cap.

All of the markings on the hydraulic unit are missing so I can't
identify a manufacturer and the lift vendor has not been of any help
(they been through 3 buyouts since the lift was made).

What I'm curious about is how do you determine just how much oil should
be in the reservoir?  My thought is if there is enough oil in the
reservoir for the lift to make it all the way to the top without
cavitating then that should be all the fluid you would need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad