Re: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift hydraulic pump

To: roadsters@hornesystemstx.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 4-post lift hydraulic pump
From: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:00:29 -0500
Pat,

> There are a several reasons I can think of that would cause the oil to
> blow out of the breather. If the problem mainly occurs when the lift
> is at its highest, you may not have enough oil in the tank. Generally
> the oil return line comes in somewhere below the oil level to keep it
> from spraying around. If you have ever turned on a jacuzzi tub jets
> before the water level is above the jets you will know what I mean!

The problem occurs only when lowering.  Both oil lines come in at the
top of the reservoir so your spray theory may well be the case here.
But your post got me to thinking.  I'm wondering if the breather is not
providing enough air flow to allow the air pressure to be relieved so
the oil is pumped out the breather.
> If there is air being pushed into the system by a bad pump shaft seal
> you may be having trouble with the air bubbles causing the excess
> agitation in the tank.

The pump does not run on the way down, its a gravity lower by bleeding
off the pressure on one side of the cylinder.
> If these aren't the case, you should be able to extend the breather
> cap into a barf tank. A barf tank us nothing more than can that has a
> diameter several times that of the pipe that is having the problem The
> pipe with the problem comes in the bottom, and rises a bit into the
> tank. There is an additional hole in the bottom of the tank with a
> line that goes back into the reservoir to return the extra oil. The
> breather is then put on top of the barf tank with a baffle under it to
> keep the oil from blowing directly out the breather. This type of tank
> was used on some of the 1950's and earlier cars on the crankcase
> breather. I also seem to remember seeing them in speed shop catalogs.
> Your application probably needs a larger capacity than the set ups
> found on cars though.

Right now I'm just letting the overflow land in some oil dry on the
floor.  A barf tank would be nice and if I can find something reasonable
to use I'll rig it up.  If it starts cavitating I'm back to square one.

> As for how much oil to put in the tank, I would  think that with the
> lift down (oil level highest) I would fill the tank to be almost full.

Actually lift down in this case means the lowest level.  With the
cylinder extended the lift is down and the most oil would be in the
lines and piston.  However thinking back I may have filled it with the
lift down.  After all there was no way to raise it without oil!

Appreciate your comments.

Brad