Re: [Shop-talk] powder coat systems

To: "'Shop-Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] powder coat systems
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:12:35 -0400
Randall wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has looked into building an oven extension that can
> be knocked down when not in use ?  I'm thinking maybe panels of mineral wool
> faced with light sheet metal that can be butted up against a kitchen oven
> opening.  Might need to block off the original vent and possibly add another
> vent or even a small fan for good circulation, but otherwise it seems

A friend used my PC setup for a ceramic coat on a set of V8 headers.  I'd seen
a similar oven setup on another (unfortunately defunct) web site that was
nicknamed the "pregnant oven".  Actually, it looks like Google will turn up a
few hundred hits for "pregnant oven"  ;)

Pete bought 3 sheets of 2x4' unfaced mineral wool from McMaster Carr.  I
figured panel sizes and optimal cutting from the material.  We were able to
just stack them on the open door as a 4 sided enclosure.  I used an I.R.
thermometer ($40 @ H.F.)  We got moderately good temperature distribution,
about 500dF in the oven section and 400dF under the hood.  I think the original
oven design actually had an additional heating element installed on the door.

   -Wayne