[Shop-talk] hole sawed 1/4" thick steel post undersized

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] hole sawed 1/4" thick steel post undersized
From: "old dirtbeard" <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:36:07 -0700
Hey guys,

Well the subject line sort of tells it all. I was following instructions for
installing a fire department emergency open switch for our electric driveway
gate (I got cited and was given until next week to install it). The
instructions said drill/bore 3/4" hole for mounting the switch, which I did in
a 6" by 6", 1/4" thick steel square gate post.

Well it is big enough for the switch, but not the nut that holds it in (they
were assuming access to the back of he plate, but this is a blind location). I
have a face plate that will hold it to the post.

Anyway, I have a 3/4" hole where it really needs to be about 1" (it is has a
very thick 7/8" across the flats nut).

I need a different way to attach the 3/4" cylinder switch to the stainless
steel face plate or a way to open up the hole about 1/4".

I could look for a very thin nut, but that will take some time. I probably
could epoxy the switch to the plate and forgo the nut (this may be my
best/easiest solution). I don't think I can hole saw it again as I would not
have a pilot. I can try grinding it out, but that will take some time with
that thick steel. I can get a blade for the Roto Zip, or the jig saw or the
Sawzall. I could take the air hammer to it. Of course I can go out there with
the torch and cut it open, but then I would have to repaint the post, and
probably the gate and the other post so it would match.

I am just thinking somebody here has a clever solution for increasing the
diameter of an undersized hole in a thick piece of steel in a very visible
location. Thanks in advance...

best,

doug

'72 BSA B50SS