Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI tripping

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI tripping
From: Rich White <rlwhitetr3b@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 22:39:20 -0500
I'm sure the EE that are on the list will correct me if I do not have this
totally correct...
As I remember the GFCI compares the current going into the device with the
current coming back.  If the difference is too great, it turns off the power.
I think the greater the difference the quicker the shutdown occurs.  We did
not put them on circuits that had motors or refrigerators on them because of
the phase angle.  Having the peak current and peak voltage out of phase would
fool the GFCI into thinking there was a problem.  The harder the motor has to
work the greater the phase angle.
Rich White St. Joseph, IL USA '63 TR3B TCF587L That ain't a scrap pile, that
is my car! See it moves!