Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI tripping

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GFCI tripping
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:04:00 -0700
> In my old house, I tried using a 12-volt radio power supply
> plugged into a GFI outlet, and the GFI always tripped after a
> minute or so.  When plugged into another GFI outlet (the same
> brand of GFI!) it worked fine.

In addition to getting flaky, I believe there is a significant variation in
sensitivity even when they are new.  Doug's story seems to support that
theory.  Likely his radio power supply had a suppression cap tied from hot
to neutral or something, that passed just enough current to trip an
overly-sensitive GFCI.

Randall