[Shop-talk] GFCI tripping

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] GFCI tripping
From: "cornerexit" <cornerexit@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:16:51 -0700
My treadmill is tripping the GFCI for some reason lately. 20amp breaker,
12ga wire, 20amp gfci duplex outlet.

Cleaned the treadmill motor, rollers etc. The treadmill works fine with my
lightweight 17 year old son on it, but with my heavy butt it trips a minute
or two into the routine. I assume these gfci outlets wear out over time? Is
there a way to test the receptacle itself? Not test the circuit necessarily
but just the outlet itself?

When I plug in one of those circuit tester thingies it indicates the circuit
is wired correctly and will trip the gfci when I push the test button, so I
guess the only other thing is to replace the receptacle? I don't have
another nearby outlet/circuit to test the treadmill on, at least without
using a bunch of extension cords.

Are these gfci receptacles a bit fragile? It sure seems they don't last very
long, at least for me anyways.

Wayne