Re: Using your shop experances to help others.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Using your shop experances to help others.
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:14:47 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 29 May 2007, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> -The basic parts of a car-
> Motor parts, drive train, and just some terms about the body
> -What to look for and steer clear of when buying a car

This is pretty good.  In particular, it'd be neat to have a couple cars
there so that you could open the hood and actually point to things... Too
many 'car-idiot' folks look under the hood and see a big lump of crap...
Getting them to start seeing that as a collection of parts would help.

Point out things like the battery, spark plug wires, air cleaner, oil
dipstick, oil fill, washer fluid fill, etc.

> -What to have in your car at all times
> Jumper cables, flares (although Ibll recommend chem. sticks) flashlight,
> blanket, gloves, cell phone charger (what else?)

While I'd probably give them a list like this, I'd honestly say the only
thing anyone _really_ needs is a cell phone, coupled with either a new car
roadside assistance program or AAA membership.

If we're talking about winter in Montana or something, then you'd want to
add winter "in car survival" gear.

> -How to change a tire (this is a practical exercise)
> -How to handle roadside emergencies
> Get car out of lane of travel, stay in car unless there is a safe place
> nearby
> -Preventive maintenance
> How often to do oil changes, keeping things clean, checking lights and
> tires, etc
>
> What I want to ask the wisdom here isb&  If you could teach this class, what
> would you put in it?  Remember, the audience is mostly single, female
> parents that know little to nothing about cars.  I want to give them a
> little better understanding of the workings of a car.  I hope to bring a
> sense of empowerment (however small) to them about their car.

One thing to emphasize is that noises mean something and that the car will
'talk' to you if you just listen.  Maybe talk about how noises can vary
with engine speed or road speed and how that might relate to the different
parts on the car.  Talk about noises combined with vibrations and without.

Perhaps also talk about common failures like a battery dying, altenator
dying, tire going flat, how loss of oil pressure will show up on most cars
and what to do when that happens, etc.

Another thing that would be good is "things to help prevent against
getting ripped off by a mechanic"... Just basic stuff like encouragement
to request a reasonable explanation, encouragement that if the mechanic
can't explain the problem in a way you can understand, that's a danger
sign, etc.  Emphasize the general differences in places to get work
done... I.e. the dealer is usually a safe, but perhaps expensive bet,
Pep Boys isn't the place to get a motor rebuilt, that an independant
mechanic you can trust is worth their weight in gold but due to the nature
of the beast is also the most likely place to get ripped off, etc.

Mark