Re: Using your shop experances to help others.

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: Using your shop experances to help others.
From: jniolon@bham.rr.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:10:49 -0500
Hey Inch..
sounds like a very good/useful project.  The contents depends on region... I
can't imagine packing a blanket here in Alabama... 'sept during the winter
months of course.   I would add an extra set of flashlight batteries and some
packages of hand cleaner/rags.  You can buy 'goop' in a 'lotion tube' . You
don't want 'icky' hands.
In addition to a cell phone I'd recommend a list of numbers kept in console or
glove compartment...   AAA, tow service, highway patrol, hiway assistance truck
(we have those here in Ala) family numbers, etc.... women can lose the ability
to remember when panic'd or mad.
Tell them which gauges or idiot lights are important.... which ones to pay
immediate attention to and which to seek the next 'available' service place.
Show them normal operating positions of the gauges (around straight up in most
models now a days ... but give them ranges on oil pressure or water temp..
AFA what to watch out for.... at quick oil change shops...remind them they
DON'T need a new air or fuel filter with every oil change or windshield wipers
or windshield washer filter....or brake fluid filter...  those guys will screw
them everytime... show them how to check the air filter... and explain what
systems DON'T have filters... There's a guy here locally  who almost got to
have an asshole filter for putting one in my wife's car without asking then
refusing to remove it cause "Ialready threw the box away ".  He took it back
when I offered to install his asshole filter for him.
Although it doesn't have anything to do with 'automotive knowledge' I'd spend a
few minutes telling to be aware of surroundings when entering/exiting car in
parking lots/decks   in secluded parking areas or after dark... next to vans
and such... don't sit and balance the checkbook... read receipts in the car...
lockthe door as soon as they get in the car and leave the area asap..... to
many abductions/robberies from inattentive women.  Which reminds me... tell
them that they can open trunk from the inside with a pair of pliers or
screwdriver... and show them how to do it.

that's about it.... if I think of more I'll drop you  a line...

later
John