Using your shop experances to help others.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Using your shop experances to help others.
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:48:25 -0400
Ok, this Thursday, I'm teaching a class at the local Women's Crisis center.
It will be a class on "all things automotive."

It is more of a conversation than a formal class.  I'm looking to just help
educate the clients on some automotive basics.  So far, here are some
topics I plan to cover...

-The basic parts of a car-
Motor parts, drive train, and just some terms about the body
-What to look for and steer clear of when buying a car
 Leaks, fluid colors, sounds, rust
-What to have in your car at all times
Jumper cables, flares (although Ibll recommend chem. sticks) flashlight,
blanket, gloves, cell phone charger (what else?)
-How to change a tire (this is a practical exercise)
-How to handle roadside emergencies
 Get car out of lane of travel, stay in car unless there is a safe place
nearby
-Preventive maintenance
 How often to do oil changes, keeping things clean, checking lights and
 tires, etc

What I want to ask the wisdom here isb&  If you could teach this class, what
would you put in it?  Remember, the audience is mostly single, female
parents that know little to nothing about cars.  I want to give them a
little better understanding of the workings of a car.  I hope to bring a
sense of empowerment (however small) to them about their car.

Please feel free email me comments.  I want to put together something that
I can give others to use in their communities to spread these kind of
classes.

Moose

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos