Re: garage door opener advice

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: garage door opener advice
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:35:05 -0500
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:06:56PM -0500, Steven Trovato wrote:

> I've been reasonably happy with the Sears belt drive model.  It's
> quieter than the others and it has worked well for me.  I haven't
> really done a major survey, though.  Sears is just very convenient
> for me and over the years I've become familiar with installing and
> when necessary repairing their openers.

I installed a Sears belt drive opener a few weeks ago.  It's much quieter
than the chain drive opener it replaced.  I'd venture to say it's even
quieter than my parents' screw drive opener.  The only noise I hear when
opening/closing is that of the door rollers themselves.

I still have some concerns about the longevity of the belt.  So far I
haven't noticed any stretching but it'll be interesting to see the belt's
condition after a year or three...

Jimmie Mayfield
http://www.sackheads.org/mayfield       email: jimmie+shoptalk@sackheads.org
My mail provider does not welcome UCE -- http://www.sackheads.org/uce