Re: 4 light hi-beams

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 4 light hi-beams
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:19:08 -0700
> AFAIK, at the moment there are no limits on how bright your headlights can
> be, at least not at the Federal level.   Headlights are no longer required
> to be "DOT approved".  They are supposedly considering limits, to keep from
> blinding other drivers ...

Not true.  There's definite limits on how many candelas headlights can
throw down the road.  If I had a few more minutes I'd go look it up.

The problem is that the DOT has always been obsessed with throwing
enough light *up* to illuminate overhead signs and the like, so the
DOT-mandated beam patterns always throw a fair amount of light at
oncoming drivers.

The ECE beam patterns tend to throw far less light above the lens
centerline than US lights do.

John.