RE: lawnmower repair

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: lawnmower repair
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:59:13 -0400

Howdy,

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
> lawnmower having issues.  does not like to idle.  will rev up and down
> then spontaneously die.  playing with a thingy (tm) on the carb makes
> it not die.  the thingy(tm), if I had to guess, seems to control what
> would be the slide, were it on a carb on one of my bikes.  it seems to
> be spring-loaded, and if I hold it back, the engine will rev.
> throttle pinned the whole time, fwiw.
> somebody take a guess--there's only six moving parts on the thing,
> eventually you'll get it.  I'm just terrified because last time I want
> through this (I'd just ported and rebuilt an rz350 engine...how bad
> could briggs do me?) I ended up having to drag said briggs to the
> local mower shop and pay $120 to watch the mouth-breather assemble it
> in 5 minutes.  with an cardboard-and-aluminum-foil head-gasket, I
> think.  I can't go back.

I had a similar problem with my 12hp Kohler.  It would rev, but then would
die.  Usually would start right up though.
Anyway, disassembled and cleaned carb, no change. I then put Seafoam in
fuel, oil, and through carb.  Ran it for 45min or so with no problem.  Drove
it around a bit with no problem, and it's run flawlessly since.
No financial interest, just a fan.

Gordie