lawnmower repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: lawnmower repair
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 03:12:36 +0000
lawnmower having issues.  does not like to idle.  will rev up and down then
spontaneously die.  playing with a thingy (tm) on the carb makes it not die.
the thingy(tm), if I had to guess, seems to control what would be the slide,
were it on a carb on one of my bikes.  it seems to be spring-loaded, and if I
hold it back, the engine will rev.  throttle pinned the whole time, fwiw.

can these things possibly be cv carbs?

this is a tecumseh flat-head, and it's four hours old (to me--the old one
splatted this weekend right after I asked about the light fixture.  this one
was close and cheap, and a nice mower except for that pesky not-running issue.)
 sears craftsman 6.5 horse, if it means anything.

help me out here--valve job on a desmo ducati: no problem.  old leaf-blower:
stumped.  cam chain tensioner, cbr 600: cake.  craftsman lawnmower: stymied.  I
so want to join the ranks of those to whom these things come easy, and I've
watched the mouth-breather here fix these things with an adjustable wrench, a
flat-blade screwdriver and a can of wd-40.  how hard can it be?

somebody take a guess--there's only six moving parts on the thing, eventually
you'll get it.  I'm just terrified because last time I want through this (I'd
just ported and rebuilt an rz350 engine...how bad could briggs do me?) I ended
up having to drag said briggs to the local mower shop and pay $120 to watch the
mouth-breather assemble it in 5 minutes.  with an cardboard-and-aluminum-foil
head-gasket, I think.  I can't go back.

scott