gate or ball valve for house water lines?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:28:46 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

So what's the general group think on which type of valve to choose for
house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the little
handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?

I _hate_ having all these old valves in our house (built in the 50's) that
can't be shut off /on without leaking around the stem.  Don't talk to me
about tightening packing nuts either... On the old valves, I can tighten
the damn things until I think I'm going to snap something and they still
leak a little.

Are the 1/4 turn ball valves better in this respect?  Basically I want a
valve I can leave fully on or fully off for 30 years then need to shut it
off and expect it to work flawlessly.

Any pointers?

Mark