Re: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?

To: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:11:41 -0700
At 09:16 AM 6/22/2006 -0700, Wayne Farrington wrote:

>I'm about an hour south of you, Steve.
>
>What exactly is the growing season here? It seems to me stuff never stops
>growing around here. I feel like I spend half my life running weedeaters
>and like equipment, and the other half keeping all the equipment running.
>If I had my way I'd pave over the whole front yard for more parking... but
>I don't have my way according to the better half. I can't tell you how
>much I detest yard work.

We have three houses in a row in Seattle that my dad worked on from the
time he bought the property in 1937 until he died.  I do the lawn for two
houses and in the spring you have to keep after it.  In the summer we just
let it die and take a few months off.  A little work when things get going
again in the fall and after that, it's so dark and wet you can let it go again.

My nephew hates yard work too. My nephew gets a deal on the rental with the
goal that he could help with upkeep.  What he eventually figured out is
those new immigrants do nice work, do it fast, and do it cheap.  It makes
good sense to do it yourself if you'd rather spend the money somewhere else
or you like the work.  If you don't like it, our neighbors to the south are
more than willing to help you out.  I think yardwork is one of the most
inexpensive services you can buy.

Steve Shipley