RE: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?

To: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>, <BSHolden@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:49:11 -0700
Which reminded me of something.  Years ago I used to buy a petroleum
solvent called Varsol in bulk at the gas station.  I used it to clean
motorcycle parts, it was kind of like paint thinner.  You could also get it
gallon cans at the hardware store.  One of the uses on the can was to kill
weeds and grass along fence lines.  It worked great.  Spray it along a
fenceline and the grass died and didn't come back for a long time, and most
of it seemed to evaporate.  It didn't leave an oil slick.  You might try
spraying the area with paint thinner; maybe you can even find some Varsol
somewhere.  (I just did a Google search.  ExxonMobil still makes it.  It's
just clear mineral spirits with a fancy website.)

Dave C

At 11:13 PM  6/21/2006  -0400, Peter Schauss wrote:
>About 10 years ago I stored my boat in my back yard two winters in a row.
>Each spring, I lifted the boat off of the trailer with jacks and 4x10s,
>sanded the bottom, and applied a fresh coat of anti-fouling paint.  I am
>still trying to get grass to grow in the area which was directly under the
>boat.

The short driveway to my shop and the parking in front of my shop is
gravel. Every year I have to spray the boatload of weeds that come up
through the gravel. I usually spray them with round-up. This works, sort
of. The next year they are back with a vengeance, sometimes sooner than
a year.
I'm thinking about getting one of those long handled propane burners and
trying to burn the weeds off this year. There is little fire danger
given the moist climate we are in. If nothing else it would be faster
than waiting for the weed killer to finally kick in.
Anybody burn off their weeds?