RE: How the h*ll do you load a grease gun?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How the h*ll do you load a grease gun?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:44:53 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 22 May 2006, Randall wrote:
> Mark, one thing to consider is : Does your gun work right ?  I've been
> through three brand new guns before I found one that didn't have a clear
> problem, and I'm still not especially happy with the gun I use now.

[...]

> One one of the guns I bought and discarded as defective, the piston
> would bind inside the cardboard of the cartridge and try to crush it
> rather than pushing the grease through.  That caused exactly the symptom
> you describe.

We have a winner!  :-)

I'm not sure this level action gun is setup for cartridges or not.  The
plunger certainly wouldn't extend up into the cartridge, though it kinda
looked like it was trying to fit.

In any event, I pulled the plunger back & locked it, then stuck the end of
the cartridge into the gun a little ways, then made a tamper ball of a
couple paper towels and pushed the grease out of the cartridge into the
gun.  Screwed the cap back on & released the plunger and air got pushed
out the little valve thingy on the top and a couple pumps and I was in
business.

So, I'm good for another 15 years.  In which time I'm sure I'll but
another cartridge and slide it in there, thinking that's how the gun
works... :-)

Mark