Re: How the h*ll do you load a grease gun?

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: How the h*ll do you load a grease gun?
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 19:57:33 -0400
On 5/21/06, Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Ok, this is a bit embarrasing but...
>
> How in the everloving hell do you load a grease gun?
>
> Grease cartridge.  Lever action grease gun.
>
> It worked for a short while (maybe ten shots of grease), then stopped,
> with the lever having no resistance.  There's a plunger style thing on the
> bottom of the gun.  Near as I can tell, that's there to make you think you
> can use it for something, but in reality it doesn't do anything.  Moving
> it in and out there's no resistance, nothing.

The rod can be coupled to the follower, or not. Typically, the rod has
a pair of tabs on the inner end.  If they're lined up with the slots
on the pluger follower, they'll pass through them.  If they're rotated
a quarter turn, they won't.

What's probably wrong with yours is that there's air in it.  Fiddle
with the rod until it's connected to the follower (you may have to
take the cartridge out to figure that out).  Once you've done that,
press the handle of the rod against the workbench or ground.  Loosen
the head a tiny bit (halt turn or so on mine), or if you've got a
fancy gun with an air relief valve, press that.  While continuing to
put pressure on the rod handle, work the lever until grease comes out.
 Tighten the head end.  Free the rod, and push it into the grease.

Filling grease guns is pain.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com