Re: Radiator Hoses

To: "Steven Trovato" <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Hoses
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:52:53 -0500
On 4/19/06, Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net> wrote:

> Do any of you put anything on radiator hoses before installing
> them?  I am looking for a way to keep hoses from seizing to the
> fittings, for easier removal.  Of course, I don't want them to be so
> well lubed that they fly off by themselves.  I have a boat that I
> disconnect hoses every fall to add coolant, and then reconnect them
> every spring for the boating season.  It would be nice if I didn't
> have a wrestling match every fall.  I also have some old cars on
> which I disconnect the lower radiator hose to drain the
> radiator.  Yes, there's a drain, but it will probably snap off if I
> try to use it.  Thanks.

I use little silicone grease if I remember, and have it handy.  I have
a set of Snap-On hose removal picks that make getting hoses off very
easy.  Stick the pick between the hose and the pipe, and work it
around.  Saves a huge amount of effort on hoses that have been there a
long time.  I haven't had to cut a hose off since I got them.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com