Need a weatherproof stair landing height increaser

To: shop-talk Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need a weatherproof stair landing height increaser
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:54:30 -0500
Sorry for the longwinded subject but I don't know what to call this. I
poured a 3 x 4 concrete pad for my deck stairs to land on. It started
raining as I was doing this, and in my haste to get the form level it
dropped an inch. So now the top of the pad is an inch too low. Add to
this the fact that the pre-cut stringers I got from Home Depot have the
first riser equal to all the rest, i.e. the first step will be 7 3/4
once treads are added, and I have an 8 3/4" rise for my first step.

So other than pouring 2" of concrete and embedding the stringers an
inch, I'm looking for a way to raise the pad surface 1" all around, and
2" where people will be stepping. I'm in the northeast so it needs to
withstand water & ice. And the house is going up for sale in a few
weeks so it can't look junky.

thanks,
jim