RE: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:49:02 -0500
Not sure exactly what your system is now, but I use a 'shooter board' made of
MDF.  Very accurate if you're careful, but alot easier to line up with your
cutline, cheap, won't warp, or lose accuracy over time.  That's probably what
you're using now.

I would trust mostly anything purchased from Rockler, such as this:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10548

I would probably invest in something that would also attach to my router if I
were to buy one.

PJ

> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:24:43 -0500> From: mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net> Subject: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade
straight edge?> > > From time to time I come across a project where I wished I
had access to> a tablesaw.  Since I don't really have room in the garage to
dedicate to a > contractor-style saw and I've been wary of the little $99
saws, I've always > used a circular saw and a makeshift straight edge with
mixed results.  It's > fine for things where precision isn't critical but I
don't think I'd want to > make a piece of furniture or a set of home speakers
using this setup.> > Today I found the Eurekazone stuff
(http://eurekazone.com).  These guys sell> a straight edge where your circular
saw is attached to a caddy that rides > in a slot.  At $190 for the 100-inch
SGS-1 kit, it's pretty expensive but they> claim to give many of the benefits
of a panel saw and a table saw (maybe?).  > > Has anybody used one of these or
a similar rig?  Is it worth the premium over> a $5 homemade straight edge or
is one simply better off with a tablesaw?> > Thanks for any insights.> > >
Jimmie
Because e-mail on your cell phone should be easy:  Try Windows Live Mail for
Mobile beta
http://www2.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mail/Default.aspx?locale=en-us