RE: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?

To: "Jimmie Mayfield" <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>,
Subject: RE: Tablesaw vs commercial or homemade straight edge?
From: "Kirby Vaughan" <mrkirbyv@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:31:22 -0500
Jimmie says:

Has anybody used one of these or a similar rig?  Is it worth the premium
over
a $5 homemade straight edge or is one simply better off with a tablesaw?

Thanks for any insights.

Jimmie

Jimmie,

I have not used that particular model but a similar one. It is great for
ripping plywood sheets into different widths, and I find it easier for that
task than wrestling sheets through the table saw. But there are so many
other things that a table saw would make easier or more precise.
Crosscutting and angle cuts of 1X stock will be much easier on a table saw.
You won't be any better off with that jig if you are intending to build
cabinets or furniture, but it will likely be slightly more precise than your
homemade straightedge. It has been worth it for me for the easier setup and
the fact that its less likely someone will cut up your straightedge for
blocking. (hmmm...)
There are several small and relatively inexpensive table saws that I don't
own but have used and am impressed with. The Ryobi table saw is an amazing
device for a small portable saw. I have been tempted to buy one numerous
times but haven't, but it is still on my list. Porter-Cable also makes a
very nice small saw about the same size as the ryobi. It seems a bit more
heavy-duty but doesn't have the sliding table like the Ryobi. I have a Delta
Contractors saw that I love but it is not very portable. It is much heavier
than the Ryobi and is big enough to rip plywood sheets on with a helper, but
takes up a lot of space. I'm not sure that I would attempt full plywood
sheets on the Ryobi or Porter-Cable.
Delta also makes a 10" Shopmaster that is in between the two in size and
runs around $300. Given the choice, I would probably pick the Ryobi, but
then I do a lot of trim and finish work and don't need the large table that
often.
As usual, it comes down to what you want it to do for you. Depending on
that, you may also want to consider a sliding compound miter saw.

Kirby...