Re: Parking Lifts

To: doug@dougbraun.com
Subject: Re: Parking Lifts
From: "Trevor Boicey" <trevor@boicey.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:12:53 -0500 (EST)
> They tout that as a feature, saying that their square-section posts are
> stronger than the competitor's C-section ones.

  My hydra-lift four post lift uses regular construction I beams in the
corners. (8 inch or so?)

  The bottoms must be secured to the floor, and then the carriage is hung
from a plate on top of the beam.

  The carriage is "pinned" in by the four I-beams, and hung from cables
from a plate welded to the top of the beam.

  The carriage stops are blocks welded to the inside of the beam, and a
large sprung rod clicks up them and grabs on the way down unless
manually locked away.

  Although not portable like some designs, it does seem incredibly
overengineered.

> I have no idea of the actual quality or reputation of any of these lifts.
> I recently bought a house that has a garage with a 12-foot ceiling,
> and one of those lifts looks handy, but it would take
> a lot of domestic negotiation to actually get one.

  I met no resistance there, because it meant we could park her car inside
during the winter. (double stacked)

  I don't double stack in the summer, so all the cars are quickly usable.
Then it's just a working lift.