Re: 20# propane tanks - half full or half empty???

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: 20# propane tanks - half full or half empty???
From: "Doug" <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:04:48 -0800
john niolon wrote:

Subject: 20# propane tanks - half full or half empty???

> Now my question... I have two tanks that I filled last year and used.. I'm
> wondering how much is left for this year.. don't want to run out but don't
> want to go swap for a full one and waste "my" gas...
> how can I tell how much is left...??

Buy a magnetic gauge that attaches to the side of your tank and it sure
eliminates the guessing.  I think I got mine at Home Depot and it is
different than the link below but the idea is the same - I just "googled" to
get an example, I have not dealt with this vendor.

http://www.seefred.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=propanetank.htm

> can you just 'top off' and pay for what it takes ??
> I think most places are just exchange now.. aren't they ??

I pay for the volume I need but I also believe the gas station might have a
minimum flat charge but I have only ever taken an empty tank to them for
refill.  An empty tank is easy to tell, it is real light and when you shake
it no fluid rolls inside it.

Doug