RE: 20# propane tanks - half full or half empty???

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 20# propane tanks - half full or half empty???
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:55:58 -0800
> Put them on a bathroom scale. IIRC, an empty tank weighs about 15-17
> lbs, a full tank weighs about, umm, well, 20 lbs more...

Mine have the "tare" (ie empty) weight marked on them, which I believe is (or at
least was) required by law.  I can usually get a good idea by rocking them back
and forth, to feel how the liquid sloshes, but I can't explain what it feels
like.

> I don't know if a re-fill of a 1/2 full tank would cost less. I've
> always refilled them when they're empty.

Depends on where you go.  Places like Home Despot that just exchange tanks will
not give you credit for a partial tank.  However it shouldn't be hard to find
someplace that will fill your tanks, and charge you for how much it takes to
fill them.  Check the yellow pages (Google, etc.) for a propane dealer in your
area, then call and ask if they will fill "walk-ins".

Randall