RE: LED "Shake" flashlights

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: LED "Shake" flashlights
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:18:21 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

I have a number of D-cell maglites as well.  I keep one by each door
in the house, one one each side of the bed, one in each car and one
in the kitchen.  I also have a couple of those multi-million
candlepower floodlights:one in the garage and one by the
boiler.  They all get used enough so that I can tell when the cells
are about to go but they are cumbersome and heavy to carry around.  I
think I also have about a dozen mini-maglites (vendor gifts and such)
that litter my desk/workbench/toolbox drawers.

I have a small LED light on each keychain and one clipped to the
laptop and carryon bags I use (I travel a lot for work).  Weight is
insignificant and are great for finding the keyhole at night, etc...

I also have a few Streamlights that use the lithiums - just a quick
bump of the endcap to verify they still work every few weeks.  Those
are mainly for carry and as weaponlights.  Ttry hanging the maglight
off the shotgun or M4gery.  :-O

As for the guns and kids, get one of those by the bed gunsafes -
there are a number of them out there and are what I would use for a
handgun if I had kids.  The shotgun would hang from the wall out of
reach seven feet up (once they'de be old enough to reach it they'd be
old enough to know not to).

Another good light to have is a head-mounted LED light.  These are
great for when the power goes out because it leaves both hands free
and lights up where ever you're looking.

At 11-20-2005 at 10:56, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Randall's
keyboard and said:

> > Switch to a light that uses 3V lithium (123) batteries - 10 year
> > storage lifespan.
>
>Good idea, thanks for the tip.
>
>But IMO there's something to be said for checking it out every year
>anyway, and
>replacing batteries every few years isn't that onerous.  Besides I've got this
>really nice 5D Mag Lite with the same counterweight the police used
>to use, and
>it does get used from time to time since it's located where I can
>find it in the
>dark and without making any noise ... since I have small children in
>the house I
>don't like keeping guns easily accessible.

Cheers!