RE: LED "Shake" flashlights

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LED "Shake" flashlights
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:39:11 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

>    I got one for Christmas a year or two ago.  If I shake it for like a
> week, it makes a brief flash like a turnsignal.

That's maybe a little worse than I've heard from others, but not much.  The
consensus seems to be that if you're stuck in absolute darkness with no
other light source, a "shake" flashlight is better than nothing.   But
otherwise it's never going to replace a battery-powered flashlight.

Even the more realistic manufacturers claims say you have to keep reshaking
them every minute or two, for 10-15 seconds each time.

So at least for the moment, I have to keep remembering to change the
batteries in my "earthquake prepardness kit" every few years.

Randall