Re: Engineering 101

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Engineering 101
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:54:09 -0500
On 7/26/05, Eric@megageek.com <Eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> Mike, again, it's not stealling if he didn't patent it.
>
> And if he did, if you are improving the design its still not steeling.

Depends on what the patent covers.  It's quite likely the patent
covers the basic idea, and an improved version infringes on it.  On
the other hand, if the patent covers an improvement to an existing
idea, you might not be infringing on it.  There's a reason patent
lawyers are well paid.

> And as far as I know, as long as you make it for your personal use, patents
> don't apply. (i.e. I could build any widget myself for my personal use and
> not voilate trademark law.  As long as I don't try to sell them.)

Nope.  The patent covers all uses; you're merely unlikely to get sued,
both because they're unlikely to find out, and the actual loss is
small.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com