Re: Engineering 101

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engineering 101
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:34:00 -0700
>Now, Mike, at some point you're going to have to fess up and show us this
>toy or at least tell us what it does...

   Lets see if I build it first :)  as I have told a few others off-list, I
am uncomfortable advertising that I am blatantly stealing someone else's
idea.  The only redeeming parts are that he wanted nearly $3,000 for
something that takes less than $300 worth of steel and $200 worth of ACME
stuff, his was obviously homebuilt with rough cuts and welds of
questionable quality and he did use plain old all-thread so you can
eliminate the $200 ACME part from his cost.  The other factor is I just
want to build it for me, not go into competition with him.

  If I build this, I will TIG it up, I will improve and make it safer with
some physical stops rather then depending on the weight on the threads to
hold the weight.

  The problem for me is that I am not a engineer and I am not sure how to
build the gearing parts but I have done very little else besides web
surfing the last 2 days looking and trying to learn.  This list helped a
lot by giving the names of some parts and the terminology to google for.  I
only 2 took pictures of it because I was going to buy it but my wife
knocked some sense into me when she started mentioning how many tools I
could buy with that kind of money if I built my own.

   After looking at the cost of the ACME stuff, I started wondering about
hydraulics but I need to move 2 items 3ft apart  in unison and not sure if
that will work, 4 pistons one on each corner might work but they need to
more equally.  Think I will stay with stuff that I know very little about
but a little more than hydraulics.  The steel part, welding, etc. is the
extremely easy part for me.

  If I build it I will brag

         Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/