RE: Code Scanners

To: "'Shop-Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Code Scanners
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bjzwissler@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:01:16 -0500
If you want an inexpensive and reasonably capable OBD II scan tool try the
BR3 OBD Interface.  It's a little less than $100 and  has most capabilities
of professional scan tools. In addition to reading and resetting codes it
allows real-time parameter monitoring, readiness codes, snapshot, etc.  This
requires a laptop with a serial port and will work with any OBDII compatible
vehicles (anything built since 1996).  http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html
This same capability in a hand-held scan tool would cost several hundred
dollars and up, although IMHO the handheld tools are more convenient than a
lap top.

If you want just an OBD II code reader (reads codes and resets them), you
can get them for about $80 at any auto parts store.

If you want a tool that will do both OBD I (cars prior to 1996) and OBD II
cars you'll have to pay more money and the OBD I interfaces are unique per
manufacturer.

Ben Zwissler
bjzwissler@comcast.net
Columbus, IN