RE: and now, computer questions...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: and now, computer questions...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:00:35 -0700
> my biggest question is how can/do I test the components?  I have a
> voltmeter, but it's the standard home/auto kind.  is there a way to
> tell what's toast without just swapping in new parts?

The only definitive test is to hook the component up to a working computer and
see if it works.  The downside is that there is a small chance your bad
component will damage the good component.

Odds are good that the motherboard is toast in addition to the power supply, and
processors have moved so quickly that you'll likely pay more for a MB & RAM to
support your old processor than a new MB, processor & RAM will cost.

I've also usually found it cheaper to buy a case with PS than a replacement PS
to fit my old case.

With the new PS, MB, processor & RAM in hand, you can try your old video card &
monitor.  Keep adding components until you find one that either doesn't work, or
keeps the whole system from working.  It's not rocket science, as you say if you
can build an engine, you can probably build a computer.  Just go easy on the
assembly lube ! <g>  (Actually, you do use a special grease between the
processor and it's heat sink.)

>  I'd like to at
> least have a go at it before I pay comp usa $99 just to diagnose the
> problem.  or am I a moron to even consider it, and these are very
> delicate parts not to be fooled with by mere mortals?

Frankly, given the likely amount of damage, and all the potential hassles with
incompatible parts, I'd say you'd be better off buying a new "bare bones"
system.  Then you can try connecting your old hard drive in hopes it still
works, and so on.

Randall