fuel tank bulkhead fitting ???

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel tank bulkhead fitting ???
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:55:22 -0500
hi guys.. tired of gravel driveways ??

I've been given a gas welder... sat up for several years... got it running
(sorta) but it needs a new fuel pump and a gas tank..  this is low budget
project so I'm looking at strapping in a 9 gallon or so poly tank where the
old one was.

My problem is all the ones I find have the filler neck on top (which is ok)
AND the outlet on top..... the engine is an old slant 6 chrysler.  Will the
mechanical fuel pump pull the gas from this tank if the outlet of the tank is
on top of the tank and approx 20" higher than the fuel pump ??

If not I'm looking for a small bulkhead type fitting that I can install in the
poly tank down low on one side...  any suggestions there ??  Home Despot and
Lowes have nothing... my next stop will be a marine store..  but I know you
guys can solve this problem quickly... hopefully with a "yes" answer to the
fuel pump..

thanks
John

like old ford trucks ???  check out my site
http://jniolon.clubfte.com
or our mother ship at
www.ford-trucks.com