RE: fuel tank bulkhead fitting ???

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: fuel tank bulkhead fitting ???
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:51:16 -0700
> My problem is all the ones I find have the filler neck on top
> (which is ok)
> AND the outlet on top..... the engine is an old slant 6 chrysler.
>  Will the
> mechanical fuel pump pull the gas from this tank if the outlet of
> the tank is
> on top of the tank and approx 20" higher than the fuel pump ??

Should do, if it's in good condition.  The pump on my Dodge motorhome would
reliably prime itself from a good 24" from the bottom of the tanks.  And in
your configuration, once the pump is primed, it won't actually have to lift
that far.

> If not I'm looking for a small bulkhead type fitting that I can
> install in the
> poly tank down low on one side...  any suggestions there ??

I've had good luck "making do" with a brass pipe nipple (or NPT to hose barb
adapter), two nuts, two washers, and a Buna-N washer.  But you'll need
fairly good access to the inside of the tank, which might be a problem.

>  Home Despot and
> Lowes have nothing... my next stop will be a marine store..

McMaster-Carr offers a wide variety of bulkhead fittings, might be something
useful there.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
"Next day" shipping, no minimum order.  Minimum shipping charge probably
varies by area, I think I paid $3.85 for my last small order (but their west
coast distribution point is only 20 miles or so from my house).

Randall