Re: quickie elect. question

To: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Subject: Re: quickie elect. question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:00:58 -0400
Timothy R. Hoerning wrote:
> The outlet checker lights correct and I'm not making any
> other connections.

   As mentioned, the outlet checker can't detect everything.

   I *THINK* it can detect miswiring at the outlet in all combinations,
but it likely can't detect design errors. (like the connecting of
neutral and ground in the switch rather than at the panel)

>>   Personally I hate working with the stuff, the little insulating plugs
>>that have to be jammed into the end to stop chafing are just way too
>>hard to get in and never leave me feeling very happy that they are in right.
>
>       To be honest I'm not sure about the chafing plugs.  Non of the outlets
> had those when I opened them up.  Of course the house was build in 1928 and
> codes do change...

   Conveniently, Bob Vila's site came up from google and has a pictures.

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrary/Subject/Electrical/Boxes__and__Wiring/WorkingWithMetalCladCable.html

   It's the red plastic thing in steps 3 and 4. It's supposed to stop
the rough edges of the shield from chafing the wire.

   They are pretty hard to get in though. Makes you keep checking the
box to make sure you bought the right size.

   Now I don't own the proper BX shield cutter, maybe if you use the
cutter it makes the end a little different and it works better?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca