RE: quickie elect. question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: quickie elect. question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:26:18 -0700
>    As mentioned, the outlet checker can't detect everything.
>
>    I *THINK* it can detect miswiring at the outlet in all combinations,

Nope, can't detect reversed neutral & safety ground.  Won't always detect open
safety ground, either, since most outlets also connect safety ground to the box
and the box may be grounded well enough to light the little neon lamp (but not
enough to carry a fault current).

Maybe you wouldn't call it "miswiring" but the tester also won't detect poor
connections, like forgetting to tighten the screws or nicking the conductor when
you strip the insulation back.

Randall