Re: pumping oil

To: Eric J Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: pumping oil
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:12:16 -0500
Eric J Russell wrote:

> Any ideas on gadgets for refilling gearboxes, differentials, etc. with oil?
>
> I tried a device I got at Auto Zone - sort of like a large ketchup
> dispenser
> that one inserts into a gallon jug of oil. Stick a length of plastic tubing
> onto the 'spout' and press the pump down to push a few ounces of oil up &
> out the tubing. It does work but very tedious...
>
> There must be something better out there for a home mechanic.

   Maybe I just have a high tolerance for getting gear oil on me, but
I've always just used those 30cm long hose things that screw onto a
bottle of gear lube.

   Screw it on, stick it in the hole, squeeze.

   The only catch is that you can't squeeze the bottle empty, so you
have to keep the bottle full by keeping an extra on hand and filling it
up again. But once you learn you can do that by sticking the nozzle in
the end of the filler tube and squeezing with gravity, that's a clean
job too.

   I know this isn't earth-shattering, but I guess I never felt the need
to spend money to do any better. Most gearboxes and diffs hold so little
that this becomes quick.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca