Re: pumping oil

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: pumping oil
From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:40:05 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Eric J Russell wrote:
> >
> > Any ideas on gadgets for refilling gearboxes, differentials, etc. with oil?
> >
> > I tried a device I got at Auto Zone - sort of like a large ketchup
> > dispenser
> > that one inserts into a gallon jug of oil. Stick a length of plastic tubing
> > onto the 'spout' and press the pump down to push a few ounces of oil up &
> > out the tubing. It does work but very tedious...
> >
> > There must be something better out there for a home mechanic.
>
>    Maybe I just have a high tolerance for getting gear oil on me, but
> I've always just used those 30cm long hose things that screw onto a
> bottle of gear lube.
>
>    Screw it on, stick it in the hole, squeeze.

        The other trick I've used is to punch a hole in the bottom of the
bottle with an awl and use an air gun to pressurize the gear oil bottle.

        Just remember to use the pressure regulator at about 20psi... (my work
clothes still stink from the oil that got on them when I didn't think
about the regulator the first time)

        Tim

Tim Hoerning  /  hoerni@cooper.edu
'91 Honda VFR 750, '84 Honda VT500 Ascot, '73 Honda CB350G Super Sport
'87 Chevy El Camino,  '90 Plymouth Laser