Re: Cordless Drill

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cordless Drill
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:20:23 -0600
> I bought a Makita cordless with flashlight several years ago...never
worked
> right from the first day...batteries do not last...and the drill stalls so
> easily...it cannot be used "seriously"

Well, there sure are lots of suggestions for 18 volt models.....

I bought a DeWalt 14.4 volt driver-drill and it's had plenty of torque for
everything I've needed, driving everything from tiny sheet metal screws into
copper and stainless up to 3/8" lag bolts and drilling mostly wood.  Loads
of torque in the slowest range - it'll snap a 5/16 bolt.  Much tighter than
that and it's not a job for a drill.  I've worked the heck out of it - lots
of remodeling, built a hangar, etc, etc.  I have never once missed the
greater power of the 18 volts, but I know that some long days would have
been much longer toting the significantly heavier 18-volt model.

I wanted the model that is also a hammer drill, but this was on a great sale
($40 less than the hammer drill model) and to tell the truth I haven't
missed it once in 2 years of ownership.  Two minor repairs, one replacement
when the first repair was unsuccessful, all in the first few months - no
problems since.  The chuck is great - my first keyless chuck and a real
revelation - I bet I can lock a bit in there tighter than in a regular
key-type chuck, and it releases sooo easily no matter how tight I lock it
up.

Right after I bought it Milwaukee came out with the Lok-Tor series.  They're
all hammer drills, supposed to be more heavy duty, and the battery can be
reversed to get into tighter spaces - again, nothing I've missed more than
once or twice.  They also claim the chuck is far better than anything on the
market (carbide jaws), but I have no problems with what I have.  That said,
however, I need another drill to leave at the hangar, and I'll probably buy
the Milwaukee next time to try it.  I think that overall Milwaukee is a
notch above DeWalt in most small power tools.

Good luck !

Karl