Re: Quesiton about cleaning

To: <Eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Quesiton about cleaning
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:42:57 -0500
Subject: Quesiton about cleaning

> So, what tips do you guys have?  What products work well?  (Which one's
> don't work?)

I'll admit I am not into detailing my vehicles. An occasional wash and quick
wax is as much energy as I typically expend. But I also say when you want it
done efficiently - ask a lazy man...

I read about "Mr Clean AutoDry" car wash system in Consumer Reports - they
said it worked as advertised and I agree. It is has a supply of soap & a
water filter for final rinse. It works well to minimize water spots after
washing. It won't actually hose off road grime but a gentle scrub with a
sponge followed by rinsing with the filtered water does allow almost all the
water to sheet off.

It seems likely one could adapt a filter into a standard hose nozzle and
then just use the Mr Clean soap refills (it is touted as part of the system)
with a sponge & bucket. But Santa was kind enough to bring me the set.

When I do wax, I use Meguire's. Their "Quick-Wax" in a spray bottle works
well to maintain a shiny surface between major waxings once or twice a
year.

I'd like to ask the list two questions:

1. What is advised for plastic surfaces (dash boards, etc). I've heard that
"Armor-All" is *not* advised.

2. We installed a bra on my wife's Chrysler Sebring. Shortly after
installing it - it rained and I did not remove the bra for a few days. Now
the hood is discolored where the bra was installed - the paint is faded
where it stayed wet. I've tried polishing & compounding to no avail. Any
ideas short of a re-paint?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://community.webshots.com/user/ghnl1961