RE: Water Pumps

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Water Pumps
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:45:51 -0800
> Does the output or volume of water dramatically decrease as you get closer
> to the 26 foot limit?

Depends on the pump, but 1/2 the volume is not uncommon.  The pump maker should
be able to supply this information.

> Am I correct in my assumption that the 26 feet applies only to vertical
> distance

The 26 feet is only vertical, but there is also a penalty for flow resistance.
The issue is the actual pressure at the inlet of the pump, given that there is
only a pressure of about 32 feet of water pushing the water in from the well
(less if you're at high altitude or there is a storm coming).

> Is there a formula for determining the volume and pressure lost  per running
> foot on the pressure side for a given pipe diameter?

Yeah, but it's a tad complicated.  Try
http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/calc_pipe_friction.cfm

Randall Y