relocating a water heater

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: relocating a water heater
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:04:27 +0000
in keeping with the home remodeling theme (shop related in that when I do these
things, my wife will be more enthused about that extra garage I'm planning):

I want to add a small water heater to the second bath in our house.  it's on
the other side of the house and the feed runs through the slab, meaning cold
water when it gets to the sink/shower.

so I was going use the instant heaters...~$600.  so it's a 6 or 10 gallon
heater.  but it won't fit under the vanity.  so, here's my question:

can I stick it up in the attic?  I can handle the structural issues, what I
want to know is are there pressure/flow issues from asking the water to run up
a few more feet, fill a heater, then back down.  for all I know there are
pressure reducers in the heater, etc.  it would only be a few feet higher than
the shower outlet anyway, so I'm tempted to try it, but I thought I'd ask first.

thanks in advance.

scott