RE: relocating a water heater

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: RE: relocating a water heater
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:07:39 -0800
> The only issue in terms of water pressure is whether it will get up to
> the heater.  If it gets there, it will be fine.  Now whether there will
> be any other issues (water heater in an uninsulated space, adequate
> venting if it's gas, fire safety) depends a lot on the situation up in
> the attic and your local building codes.

I agree with Chris, but also consider that all water heaters eventually leak.
That's why code in most places requires a catch basin or hard floor with drain
under hot water heaters.  Code will likely also require a T&P (temperature and
pressure) relief valve that should be tested periodically, and needs a drain.
The heater itself should be partially drained occasionally, to remove the
sediment buildup in the bottom.

Randall