Re: crazy idea that will work!

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: crazy idea that will work!
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:15:58 +0000
At 16:27 07/12/04 -0500, you wrote:

>OK, in the northeast, we can't leave our hoses out all year or they will
>freeze.
>
>Many of us turn off the hose supply lines because they will freeze as well.
>Ibve already installed deep ball valves that solve the second issue.
>
>But here is my ideab&
>Instead of having a hose stored outside, why not have a remote valve
>outside and a small hole in the wall.  The hose is stored on a reel in your
>basement with just the end sticking out.  When you need the hose, you pull
>it out.  When you are done, you push it back in.
>In the basement, you will just need a small space that the hose and go
>into.
>
>Now, here is my question, is there a bremote valvebof sorts?  Ibm looking
>for a regular hose valve that has a handle far away from the pipe.  (so the
>pipe is completely inside and just the valve handle sticks out side.)
>
>Any ideas?

Inch,

Have you got a retracting reel for the basement? Otherwise you may finish
up with an ugly tangle of hose when you push it back through the wall. Have
you considered an electric valve? These things are mass produced for
irrigation and are not that expensive. There are some useful links at

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/links/valvemanf.htm

That way you are not constrained by a mechanical linkage and can put the
valve wherever convenient. You could build an insulated box into the wall
over the access point to store the hose end and guard against critter access.

Nick Brearley